The Best Small Animal Pet Carriers Available for Travel

The day was Halloween 1998 and I was on my way to Jordan.  I had my cat Tiger with me and we had gotten her shots and all her paperwork done.  She was frightened and she was not sure what was going to happen next, but I had purchased a Sherpa Pet Carrier and paid nearly $100 for the bag.  They are much cheaper now.  The bag I purchased is just like the picture of Kristin Cavallari and Bardot.  Almost 15 years later, I am still using the same bad with one tiny patch that my cat made.

The bag is so executive looking that few knew I had a black and white cat inside.  Some will look carefully.  The bag fit perfectly under the seat and although it is not forbidden, opening up the carrier and allowing your cat out may not be accepted by all.

The people sitting next to me were not thrilled.  I would open the bag occasionally and pet Tiger and reassure her that everything was fine.  The air trip was more than 8 hours.

When I arrived in Jordan, I went up to the official at the pet station and told him, "I have a cat to declare."  I wanted to make sure I had no problems.  He told me, "No, you do not have a cat."  I was stunned.  I told him again, "Yes, I have a cat."  He looked very stern at me and said, "NO! You do not have a cat."  I just smiled and kept walking.

When I got to the area where my husband was waiting, he ran to kiss me and of course his first concern was how was his cat Tiger. He opens the carrier and pulls Tiger out and starts kissing her.  We had made it to our new home and me and Tiger were very happy.

Sherpa Pet Carriers is a Once in a Lifetime Investment.

This article will show many of the Sherpa Pet Carriers because I feel they are the absolute best. This beautiful pet carrier that is approved for use under the seats on many air carriers only cost $59.00 and prices run from the low $40,s to the premium line of $100. Sherpa has many types of carriers.  You must check with the airlines if you have a large pet.  There are pound limitations and sizes of the carrier.  Storing animals in the airline storage area is not suggested unless you have no other choice.

Original Black Carrier

This is the one I own and have the same one since 1998 - $75.47
You will never regret this purchase.  I am so thrilled to show you some of the most beautiful and practical cat carriers you can imagine.

Medium Size in Red - $55.00
The ultimate in safety and comfort, this popular carrier from Sherpa's Pet Trading Company features: Mesh panels for ventilation Top and side entry with roll-up flaps on three sides provide the ultimate privacy for your pet A convenient shoulder strap and large accessory pocket Quilted for the ultimate fashion statement. Please measure your pet do not go by weight, your pet must fit into the carrier for weight to be a concern. Length: is from the nape of the neck (where the collar falls) to the base of the tail Height: is from the floor to the shoulder Weight: should not exceed maximum weigh.

All Sherpa original deluxe carriers include:

  • Mesh panels for ventilation
  • Top and side entry
  • A convenient shoulder strop.
These comfortable, stylish bags are approved for use on major airlines. Small and medium sizes fit under most airline seats. (Large - check with airline)

Ultimate Bag on Wheels

Ultimate Bag - Medium - $88.00
Sherpa also carries a beautiful, top quality bag for those who are not able to carry their dog or cat on their shoulders. 

Features Include:

  • Mesh panels for ventilation
  • Top and side entry
  • Roll up flaps on three sides for ultimate privacy for your pet
  • Convenient, detachable, adjustable pull strap seconds as a shoulder strap
  • Large accessory pocket
  • A quilted texture for the ultimate fashion statement
  • Carrier rolls flat on four wheels, no tilting, to provide your pet with a comfortable travel experience


 There's no greater luxury for your pet than a ride in the Sherpa-On-Wheels Pet Carrier! Take a load off your shoulders with the detachable handle pull / shoulder strap and its recessed easy-glide wheels for smooth steering motion. This bag makes any adventure attainable for both you and your furry friendFront and top entry Mesh panels on four side for ventilation and panoramic view Roll-up flaps, roll down shades for privacy Travel tray - " bed in a bag", for additional convenience External double mesh pocket for storage Washable faux lambskin liner Detachable handle pull / shoulder strap Inside leash ring please measure your pet before ordering as pet carriers are non returnable due to hygienic reasons. when measuring for the length take tape measure and measure from the base of the neck collar area to base of the tail this is your length measurement and it needs to be under 16" in order for your pet to fit. to measure the height which is the floor to the shoulder it should be no greater than 10". please measure and do not go by your pets weight when ordering travel carriers as we all know pets are like people they come in all different shapes and sizes. this carriers will fit under an airline seat with the major carriers and is airline approved

Traveling with Pets

When you travel with your pets consider giving them a tranquilizer prior to departing.  Animals can become very anxious on long trips. Make sure you have a portable water and food bowl that you can put in the bag with you.  You do not want to feed them too much if at all so they do not go to the bathroom a lot and smell up the cabin causing others to complain about your animal.  Take some disposable liners for your carrier and their favorite toy.  Make sure to have their papers ready and a hotel checked out prior to going on your trip.

Read: Pet Friendly Hotels in Jordan